First Furniture Purchase

Besides a $7.99 end table from IKEA, I do not have any furniture of my own.  How am I getting by you might ask?  Desk: hand-me-down.  Sofa: hand-me-down.  Table and chairs: loaner.  Nightstand: plastic storage bin (What can I say?  I make do).  However, now I can happily say I have bought my first piece of furniture.

Was it a dining table?  A coffee table?  An end table?  No, now I am the proud owner of a library card catalog.

These have made a comeback as of late.  As soon as I saw this, I knew I needed one.  Badly.


Look at this catalog used as a side table.  Beautiful!

After seeing card catalogs like this, I went on the search.  Etsy had options, but they were all too expensive for my taste.

Antique find                                                                          thespectaclednewt

This first one for example, is awesome.  I stumbled upon it in an antiques shop, but was disappointed to see a price tag of $1400.  The other is from Etsy, but also comes with a price tag of $2000. Both are a little too high for me.  So I thought the dream would go unrealized.  Until one fateful day, I found this gem hiding in the aisles of an antiques shop.


Hello Beautiful!  This catalog was made even more beautiful by the fact that it was in my price range. Swoon.  It was originally a fixture of Iowa State University.  On the underside, it even says the exact classroom it was located in.  So cool!  The shop owner thought I was crazy for buying a library card catalog.  "What are you going to use it for?"  Good question, but this was an impulse buy.  I was going to buy first, think later.  (This is maybe not the best longterm spending habit.)

Thirty minutes later, I had my own library card catalog crammed into the back of my Jetta and was off!  An hour later, it was set-up in my bedroom.  Currently, the small drawers are the perfect spot for jewelry.  I am in love with it!  And now let the obsession pictures begin.







Let me know what you think!  Stop by again soon!




This entry was posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2014. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

Leave a Reply